Can you believe that we are almost halfway through January?
Time must be a joke because I don’t know how 2020 just flew by. I’m hoping that 2021 is at least a tiny bit better than last year because, boy I am exhausted.
Even though 2020 wasn’t great socially or academically, it gave me time to focus and develop my hobbies and let me do things I love to do, which is exactly what this post is going to be about!
Today I’ll be sharing a few things that gave me joy during the very terrible time that was last year and list down some things I want to focus on this year, praying it won’t be the same as last year.
Click for resources to help the world
Highlights Of 2020
- I started reading diversely and a a lot more than I usually used to! Even though I did read prior to blogging, I barely read a book or two a month and as I mentioned in my 1st Blogiversary blog, I only read the same famous white books. But last year, I read around 35 books and atleast 80% of them were diverse!
some of my favourite reads of the year (of course not sharing the top 5. that is for another post!)
- I started learning Korean! After my kpop obsession began in mid-2019, I finally started learning Korean! I’ve kinda mastered Hangul and I can speak the very basics! (So now I’m one step closer to my dream of being a polyglot!
- MUSIC! Kpop helped me a lot this year! From amazing music to instant serotonin from idols’ reality shows, it made the year much more enjoyable for me. Honourable mentions for the above go to BTS, MAMAMOO, ENHYPEN, Twice and Tomorrow X Together!
- Starting this blog! not to sound cliché but this was definitely one of the highlights of 2020! I already ranted about this enough so I’m not gonna go into the depth of everything. I also became more socially aware and started paying attention to the ongoing political events which I otherwise wasn’t very interested in!
- NOTION!! this app definitely took up a lot of my free time as it is simply way too addicting but also very helpful!
- My friends! This goes to both my irl & online friends! Even though Online classes are boring as hell, playing among us with my squad after them made it a lot more tolerable! We also had zoom parties for everyone’s birthday and for some occasions like Halloween! And of course, my online friends’ encouragement and support made me feel amazing as myself!
- Read 40 Books: I really wanna read a lot more than last year! Even though I’ll be in 10th grade, which is like THE grade in India, I would love to read more but I will probably end up reading graphic novels and webtoons most of the time which still counts!
- Read only diverse books: As I earlier stated, I want to try and uplift the voices of BIPOC this year and learn about different cultures!
- Buddy read more! Buddy reading is super fun and I want to buddy read at least once in two months or so!
- Review avidly on Goodreads: I really want to use Goodreads more and make it my primary reviewing site as it is so much fun! I once got on to #85 best reviewers too so I want to get to that rank or higher! (Add me on Goodreads if you haven’t already!)
- Keep Track of my reads with a reading spreadsheet! I’ve seen many people use a reading spreadsheet and my lazy self finally got one too!
Blogging and Writing
- Think of a WIP and maybe do NANOWRIMO? I’ve really wanted to work on a novel but I really haven’t gotten any ideas. Especially after reading The Poppy War Trilogy, I’ve been inspired to write something that highlights the history and culture of my country! So if I think of a plot I can potentially do NANOWRIMO! I also made a notion page for this, so…
- Write stuff in general: Before I draft anything, I want to improve my skills so maybe I’ll write short stories and stuff like that!
- Reach 1K blog followers: This seemed impossible but as I am almost at 600 WordPress followers, 1000 doesn’t seem far off!
- Schedule posts in advance: I seriously need to stop procrastinating and write stuff in my free time so I can improve the quality of my posts and not rush write anything!
- Continue learning Korean and start learning Japanese and Spanish as well! Yes, I started learning two whole new languages!! Spanish is comparatively easier as there isn’t a new script to learn but Japanese is a bit difficult as it has 3 (!!) scripts! If anyone who is Japanese is reading this, please drop me some advice!
- Discover new artists: I’ve really wanted to expand my sphere of music by listening to more artists who aren’t well known! LOONA, Dreamcatcher, NCT, CLC and DAY6 are on the top of my list. J-pop is also something I want to dive into after listening to YOASOBI!
- Watch more Anime and K-dramas: I am very lazy when it comes to watching stuff because it is simply too easy? Like I can just sit there for a few hours without paying attention and still understand what is happening when it comes to movies and TV Shows because you don’t have to use a lot of imagination. I know, I am weird. I have many K-dramas I want to watch but I am very clueless about animes so please drop ya girl some recs!
- Maybe learn music production: This is something which I probably won’t do because it will take a lot of time and commitment but I’ve been genuinely interested in the process of music production so let us see how this goes!
- Get better at school and finish my assignments on time. I am a pretty good student but you ALWAYS have room for improvement, especially in Asian households.
What were your memorable moments of 2020? What are your 2021 goals? Are you doing the Goodreads reading challenge this year? Let us chat in the comments!